Trying to attract your ideal client without really knowing what they look like is like asking a dog to go fetch it while pointing to thin air!
Sometimes it can take a simple lightbulb moment for you to understand exactly what your ideal client looks like – and this was mine.
Being a typical Virgo, every day I write a list of things I need to get done. Then I write a list of goals I want to achieve. This is mainly so that they are always at the top of my mind.
I was writing one morning and I suddenly discovered that I had been writing down my exact ideal client – without realising. Here is my super easy formula that you can copy… so you can discover yours.
Think of your ideal client as a real life person – who are they?
- Are they female / male / non binary ?
- What type of business are they – Ecommerce / Service Providers / Product Based ?
- How much do you want them to pay you?
- Are they looking for something long term / interim?
- What niche do they work in?
- Is there something that you have noticed about your previous clients that you really enjoyed?
- Are they U.K based / Overseas / Online or Offline?
Where does your ideal client hang out?
- Which social media platforms are they normally on?
- Do they like informative content or prefer entertaining or aesthetically pleasing content?
- Are they family run businesses or typically one person businesses?
- What do they like to do in their spare time (non work related) ?
- Do they have any specific interests that would make them want to visit certain places?
What your ideal client’s problem?
- Are they looking for something that will help save them some time?
- Do you possess certain skills that they need?
- How many life changing tips do you have that you can tell them about?
- What will make their life easier?
- Can you help them be more cost efficient?
- How can your expertise and knowledge help them?
If you are interested in finding out more about identifying your ideal client or niching down, then I can highly recommend Amy Caiger. Click here to discover her “Unleash your Niche” content.
Do this every day:
Ask yourself the above questions every day. Doodle them on post-it-notes, write them in your journal or even with your finger in the steam on your shower guard. It doesn’t have to be a perfect list. Finding your ideal client is more about getting what is in your head down onto paper. Look back at the phrases you are repeating each day.
When I started doing this, one key phrase that kept coming up was this:
Service providers who identify as female or non binary.
I have predominantly worked with female or non binary people. Also, I know that I enjoy working with service providers. Again, I feel like a lot of what I know easily applies to service providers who have an online business. They nearly always have a digital product or plan to have one. Writing these sentences helped me narrow down and clearly define who I want to work with.
If you are still lacking a little inspiration and think a 121 session may help you – click here and let’s have a chat!